Fish Catches Legal Fish Sizes – The laws governing the minimum sizes for landing sea fish are laid down by the EU.
Additionally in the UK we have regional bodies called IFCA’s (Inshore Fisheries and Conservation Authorities) who can set higher minimum sizes for their region than the EU regulations dictate
|Species||Sussex Minimum Size||Notes|
|Edible Crab||140mm||carapace width|
|Velvet Crab||65mm||carapace width|
|Spider Crab (Male)||130mm||carapace length|
|Spider Crab (Female)||120mm||carapace length|
Source: Minimum Sizes – Sussex IFCA
In addition to the minimum sizes stated above the following species are protected by law:
- European (Silver) Eels MUST be returned.
- Tope MUST be returned.
- Shad MUST be returned.
- It is proposed that Monkfish are to be protected soon.
- Undulate Ray are endangered and return is recommended.
- Porbeagle Shark are endangered and return is recommended.
- Spurdog are endangered and return is recommended.
we respect the laws and recommendations above vigorously and in addition it is our policy to return all Conger Eels to preserve the stocks on our wrecks.
We also encourage the return of all fish that are not destined for the table and remind our customers that it is ILLEGAL to SELL your catch.
FISHING FOR SPORT NOT PROFIT.